Sunday, July 28, 2013

Tuscan Sundays - "even the grapes taste like purple"

Woke up dreaming about Sunday mornings in the Tuscan region.
Last year at Villa Casa al Ponte I awoke around 8:00 a.m. local time to the sounds of the church bells in the village at the bottom of the hill, Figiene Valdarno. A modest village that is mostly working class has some of the friendliest Italians I have ever met.  Always willing to help no matter how bad my Italian can be, they seem to only care that we are trying to assimilate to the Tuscan way of life.

Year before last we arrived in mid-November, a bit late but I needed yet another Italian fix and the villa beside of Sting was open. Anyway, yet I digress, the biggest news in Valdarno at that time was the opening of the new COOP, the equivalent to a new Tom Thumb or Kroger opening. 
Well needless to say my friend Kim and I had a ball just mixing with the locals and hearing the excitement in the air about the opening, it was truly a red carpet affair for this little village.

Oh yeah, back to Sundays in Tuscany. The same excitement for that grocery store opening is the same excitement the Italians take toward life, either going to mass or to the store for supplies, the excitement and gusto by which they live their lives has always amazed me. I learned this early on from my own Mother , God rest her soul. She always exhibited this kind of love of life.

That line from "Under the Tuscan Sun" still reminds me of the day to day life that is savoured in the cooking, the wine and the life.

Ok, back to reality, waking up here in Dallas to yet another beautiful day that will be filled with church, friends,brunch and swimming till my heart is content.

40 some days until we depart and there are still 2 places available, let's talk if you are up for a spur of the moment adventure in the heart of Tuscany.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment